This is a excellent example of a Black Forest Shield clock that plays 6 songs on a bank of 15 flute pipes. The clock is estimated to have been manufactured around circa 1820 and is operated by three weights, two being rope driven that drive the music portion of the clock and the strike.
The third is a chain drive that drives the time side of the movement. Both of the rope drives have a counter balance weight, as without the counterbalance weight the rope would slip through the wooded drive pulleys. The front shield depicts a painting of a castle overlooking the Rhine river.